Coriolis Effect, mah foot!
Katanya : Hurricane muter counter clock wise, selalu, di Northern Hemisphere... Clockwise di Southern Hemisphere. Dan semua ini karena Coriolis Effect. Wahdoh, OK, emank ingatan gw ttg Coriolis Effect ga gitu jelas, dan gw kebanyakan tinggal di daerah tepat di equator, so guru high school gw di Indo (unlike guru high school mereka) ga ngajarin ini ke gw. Thank you for you information, now I learn something new.
Tapi lalu gw dimock gara2 gw ga tau which circular direction the water runs kalo gw flush toilet. Katanya sama, harusnya rule of thumbnya kalo northern hemisphere counter clock wise. Kalo di southern hemisphere clock wise. Dan semuanya juga karena : Coriolis Effect. Begitu pula dengan water drain dari wastafel dan bathtub. Pas gw bilang "Bisa aje kan water outletnya emank angled/directed in a way? Jadinya mereka selalu counter clock wise?" Mereka lalu mulai mock2 gw : "Serius loe ga tau? Eloe gimana sih engineer. Kita aje technician2 dah diajarin dari high school loh liatin toilet bowl kita! Coba eloe hari ini flush sebanyak2nya dan eloe kasi laporan besok ke kita!" OK DAT'S IT, MARAH!!! Wth, dude?!?! I don't have any concerns about which way my s**t turns when flushin it, I just need to make sure I flush it clean and rite! And btw, we don't have hurricanes in Indo!! It's none of my interest nor my concern!!! Sebenernya lalu gw makin marah karena mereka mulai mock academic stuffs, katanya ga ngajarin hal yang penting ke engineers lah, which is a wrong thing to argue with me, coz I put my trust into it.
Setelah research google dengan keywords "Coriolis Effect AND flush", that myth is SO BUSTED!! Open your eyes, there are thousands of people out there saying that the urban legend is not true! (Who cannot believe astro.cornell.edu?) Gw sampe print artikelnya dan highlight2in, intinya "Coriolis Effect TIDAK mengakibatkan toilet bowl anda flush in a certain way" serta langsung gw kasi ke technician2 itu in just 5 minutes after they mock me! Man, that feels good... Gw sampe tulis "IT'S BUSTED! Tell your high school teacher to teach you useful stuffs, or at least TRUE ones!" gede2 di atas artikel itu! The article also says that the geometry of the bowl is the one causing it turning in a certain direction. HAH! TAKE THAT!! I believe this is the time to say "I told ya!" Setelah gw kasi, gw cabut aje, tapi gw yakin muka mereka berubah hahahaha... Gw cuma ngeloyor sambil bilang "Next time you flush it, see if your water outlet, from which you see the water runs EVERY SINGLE DAY of your life, is angled! See closer!"
So if you think your bathtub always drains in a certain way (counter clock wise) because the Corioles Force is exerted in your small bathtub at home, now is that time again you feel that feeling when you found out about Santa Claus! Bear the disappointment of knowing the truth! Well, unless your bathtub is miles wide and miles long, which I'm sure you would never admit you're that fat!!
And don't you dare to say we're not taught good stuffs in Indonesian High School. We are taught many useful and TRUE stuffs by our science teachers in high school. The list starts with completion of Calculus I, Hereditary in biology (DNA acid pairings), Force calculation (that's why I know Coriolis Effect is NEGLIGIBLE in the bathtub), and the list goes on... all at the same time! We learn what matter, not how to observe which circular way crap goes in the toilet bowl!!
Then, I write a message in my pin pad that says :
Things that allow you proudly make a good argument on which circular direction water runs when flushing the toilet bowl :
1. Curious eagerness or biologically designed to be able to see this "so called scientific phenomena" for years.
2. Living in the northern hemisphere (or anywhere else except the equator) all your life.
However a 5 minutes modest research and 30 seconds check on the angled water outlet on the toilet bowl (yup gw benar2 mengeceknya pada toilet cewe kita di kantor!) make it clear that even the longest-living-compelling-argument ARE NOT the truth. Never be proud, because there are times when what you believe for ages, can be sadly proven to be only argument.
Hope all the technicians mocking me the other day read it well and clear.
Dang it, I don't even believe I argued with them about this. How can I even believe Coriolis Effect is applied to a toilet bowl in the first place! Serius deh, nurunin IQ gw aje (well sebenernya lebih ke arah bikin gw marah aje!!)...
A hint : Kalo emank Coriolis Effect begitu gedenya, kenapa aer di dalam cup yang elo taro di atas meja ga always swirl in a way, instead it stays still? Coriolis Effect, like gravity, never takes a break! So why does the water not swirl? And they are never able to answer this.
Btw, though I like this article right here, this one is definitely my favorite! Hahahahahaha...



posted by siduahuruf @ 5:53 p. m.